Sunday, December 15, 2019

SAINT MACARIUS THE WONDER WORKER

St. Macarius the Wonder-Worker

Feast day: April 1
Abbot and victim of persecution by Iconoclast heretics.

Born in Constantinople; died on Aphusia Island, Bithynia, on August 18,  830.

"To you, O Master, who loves all mankind
I hasten on rising from sleep.
By your mercy I go out to do your work
and I make my prayer to you.
Deliver me from every evil thing of this world
and from pursuit by the devil.
Save me and bring me to your eternal kingdom,
For you are my Creator,
You inspire all good thoughts in me.
In you is all my hope and to you I give glory,
now and forever." --Saint Macarius

Piously baptized Christopher in Constantinople, he took the name Macarius upon becoming a monk at Pelekete nearby. Eventually he was elected abbot and became known for the miracles he wrought.

Macarius was ordained by Patriarch Tarasius of Constantinople, was imprisoned and tortured for his opposition to the iconoclasm proclaimed by Emperor Leo the Armenian, and was released by Leo's successor, Emperor Michael the Stammerer. When he refused Michael's demands that he support the iconoclastic heresy, he was exiled to the island of Aphusia off the coast of Bithynia and died there

No comments:

Post a Comment