Monday, December 2, 2019

SAINT IRENAEUS OF SIRMIUM

Irenaeus of Sirmium
Feast day: March 24
Died 304;
Feast day formerly March 25 (due to an error in the Roman Martyrology) and originally on April 6, the date of his death.
 Saint Irenaeus, bishop of the capital of Pannonia, suffered martyrdom under Diocletian at Sirmium (Mitrovica) in Serbia near Budapest. His acta are authentic and most touching. These relate that Irenaeus was a handsome young bishop, who was arrested and tried before Governor Probus of Pannonia. When the governor informed him of his civic obligation to sacrifice to the gods, Irenaeus answered: "The law of my God commands me rather to suffer all torments than to sacrifice to the gods." When threatened with torture, Irenaeus responds, "You cannot do me a greater pleasure; for by that means you will make me partake of the sufferings of my Savior. When prodded on the rack, Irenaeus says, "I sacrifice to my God, by confessing his holy name, and so have I always sacrificed to him."

The torture was all the greater because Irenaeus' entire family was gathered round him, expressing great concern for his well-being. His children embraced his feet, crying out: "Father, dear father, have pity on yourself and on us." His weeping wife threw herself about his neck, tenderly embraced him, and begged him to save himself for her sake, his innocent children, and the pledges of their mutual love. His sobbing mother sighed and cried, together with their servants, neighbors, and friends. Difficult as it was, Irenaeus recalled our Savior's words, "If anyone renounce me before men, I will renounce him before the Father who is in Heaven."

The governor tried to use his family to tempt him to sacrifice out of compassion for the many who mourned his fate. Unmoved, Irenaeus was sent to prison, where he was repeatedly tormented. During his second hearing, the governor asked if he had living relatives. Irenaeus answered, no. Probus then questioned, "Who then were those that wept for you at your first examination?" Irenaeus replied from Scripture: "Our Lord Jesus Christ hath said: 'He that loves father or mother, wife or children, brothers or relations more than me is not worthy of me.' So, when I lift up my eyes to contemplate that God whom I adore and the joys he hath promised to those who faithfully serve him, I forget that I am a father, a husband, a son, a master, a friend."

Probus said: "But you do not therefore cease to be so. Sacrifice at least for their sakes."

Irenaeus replied: "My children will not lose much by my death; for I leave them for Father that same God whom they adore with me; so let nothing hinder you from executing the orders of your emperor upon me."

Probus: "Don't throw yourself away. I cannot avoid condemning you."

Irenaeus: "You cannot do me a greater favor, or give me a more agreeable pleasure."

Probus then sentenced him: "I order that Irenaeus, for disobeying the emperor's commands, be cast into the river."

Irenaeus replied: "After so many threats, I expected something extraordinary, and you content yourself with drowning me. How comes this? You do me an injury; for you deprive me of the means of showing the world how much Christians, who have a lively faith, despise death, though attended with the most cruel torments." The enraged Probus added that he should be beheaded first. Irenaeus returned thanks to God as for a second victory.

His last words were: "Lord Jesus Christ, who deigned to suffer for the world's salvation, let Your heavens open that Your angels may take up the soul of Your servant Irenaeus, who suffers all this for Your name and for the people formed of your Catholic Church of Sirmium. I ask and implore Your mercy to receive me and to strengthen them in Your faith." Thereafter, he was taken to the bridge of Diana, stripped, beheaded, and thrown into the river

No comments:

Post a Comment